Types of Childcare
- In-home care provided by a parent, grandparent, relative or other caretaker.
- A licensed family childcare home provides care in a home with a maximum of five preschool aged children in care at one time. Find family childcare homes near home or work.
- A licensed childcare center that meets certain state standards, including teacher to child ratios. Find licensed childcare centers near home or work.
- Early Head Start and Head Start, which provides a free high-quality experience for children ages 8 weeks old to age 4 who meet the federal poverty guidelines. Guilford Child Development administers these programs. Get details here or complete an online inquiry form to start the enrollment process. You may also call 336-369-5097 or 1-800-289-5098 to speak with a Child Care Parent Counselor at Guilford Child Development from 8 am – 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
- NC Pre-K helps 4-year-olds who meet eligibility criteria get ready for kindergarten at no cost to their families. Learn more about NC Pre-K and how to apply for the 2017-2018 academic year.
How to Choose
- Get educated. Quality matters when it comes to early childhood experiences. Learn what to look for in a program and the 10 standards for early childhood programs before starting your search.
- Learn about your options. Talking with other parents about childcare options is a good start. To find childcare that meets your specific needs and financial situation, contact a Child Care Parent Counselor at 336-369-5097 or 1-800-289-5098 from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Visit and interview potential providers. Once you have a list of options, contact the providers to schedule a visit. Save time and get the information you need by printing and using these checklists:
- Paying for childcare. We’re not going to lie—finding affordable childcare is challenging. Your child may qualify for a scholarship or other assistance may be available to you. Learn more by calling a Child Care Parent Counselor at 336-369-5097 or 1-800-289-5098 from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.